Friday, July 10, 2015

2nd Tour is... Caracas!

I received the individualized email from my Career Development Officer (CDO) announcing my 2nd tour. Next summer I'm heading to Caracas Venezuela!


This was #22 on my list of 42 choices. It was a medium choice out of the high, medium, and low categories we had to tag on the list. It's a 20% differential post with a COLA currently similar to Stockholm since the COLA here has been dropping. This means there's a 20% pay raise to offset the somewhat harder life there compared to the 0% differential Sweden. There's also 2 R&R trips with paid airline tickets to Miami (or equivalent pricing somewhere else) for the 2 years there so that'll provide some nice breaks.


One of my new hire classmates is there now and gives it a pretty good review overall. Venezuela is often in the news concerning poor relations between our governments and frequent shortages of basic goods, but there are many ways to deal with it including 2 shipments authorized for consumables and just having some patience. It's also a high crime location so I'll be much more limited with my travels. It will be a relatively safe assignment following the security guidance and avoiding the risky areas so that's exactly what I'll do!




No comments:

Post a Comment