Saturday, June 23, 2018

Waku Lodge


Parque Nacional Canaima has several lodges to stay in and the best one appears to be Waku Lodge. They seemed to have the biggest presence right on the water across from Salto El Sapo and all of the excursions were well done. As usual, click on the pictures for a bigger version.



We first arrived at the "airport" and then it was a short truck ride to Waku Lodge. Canaima doesn't have any road connections to the outside world so the only access to the area is by plane.


Immediately on arrival we head to the lagoon for a briefing and beautiful views of these falls we'll experience up close in the afternoon.




Here's the boats we take everywhere including the long trip to Angel Falls.










The river and lagoon was high so their waterside hammocks were over the water.






This is Touchi. Touchi is nice and friendly and will sit on your arm if you want. Touchi is a jerk. Touchi doesn't like open-toed sandals and exposed toes. I was informed of this fact after it bit my toe hard enough to draw some blood. I think I developed Post-Toucan Stress Disorder after the incident. I couldn't fully relax at the outdoor restaurant whenever I suspected this toe-icidal bird might be around. I now hate toucans and am considering a personal boycott of Fruit Loops.






An excellent macaw with zero interest in eating my toes.




Above is the map showing everywhere we went from Canaima at the bottom right, Salto Angel in the middle, and to Kavac at the top left. First I had a little rest in a hammock.





The next post is about going to, under, and through these falls...

No comments:

Post a Comment